Can You Kill Bed Bugs with Alcohol?
It depends. You can certainly kill them with rubbing alcohol, if you can spray it on them. However, alcohol does not to go into mattresses, cracks, crevices, and fabrics. So, alcohol is often just a temporary treatment, one that may do the trick for a comparatively low cost.
Fill a chemical sprayer with a 91% solution of rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol/water mixture
- Spray this alcohol mixture on all infested areas, such as mattress, headboards, carpets, furniture, etc.
- If you are able to, spray this on eggs too. This will kill the hatching bugs, and nymphs will die from the alcohol.
- As soon as you find dead bugs, remove them with a vacuum cleaner, or pick them up with a paper towel. Burn them! Or simply flush them down the toilet.
- Perform these steps above weekly
- Spraying rubbing alcohol is not healthy for people either.
- It kills the bugs only on contact. That can lead to a lot of work – spraying every single bed bug in your house.
- Alcohol evaporates very quickly.
- It can damage your furniture.
Remember, a qualified, professional exterminator is often the quickest and most effective way to get rid of this pest.
If you don’t feel comfortable with using alcohol, then steam cleaners may be for you. These can be very effective, and they are safe for humans. No chemicals are used.
Have you had success with using alcohol for killing bed bugs? Please post your comments below.